Tuesday, February 27, 2007

March 10, 2005 Canal Room, New York City

TicketWe got into New York City at about 3:30pm. I was still buzzing from last night, having seen SW play "The Day Before You Came" just inches from my face. We checked into our hotel and then scouted out where The Canal Room was located. It is not very well marked, but I saw Aviv walking around, talking on his cell phone, so we figured that we were close. We finally found where it was, then we went to get a bite to eat before the long, cold wait outside.

Unlike at the Middle East Club the previous night, we did have to wait outside in the cold for a while. (The early bird gets the best spot!) It didn't seem so awful though. This was the first time that I met Moonloop and her husband who was waiting in the cold while she stayed warm in the car in a prime parking space in front of the club. We all talked as the time went by and a crowd developed behind us. I also remember talking to a woman who was there from Aviv's fan base. She told us that she was going to leave her boyfriend for him because he was the sexiest man in the world. She described him as being perceived as more of a radical like Marilyn Manson in his own country.

Finally, they let us in which was good because the front of the line really had to use the facilities, and we were cold. We grabbed our precious up-close-to-the-front places and took turns finding the restrooms in this posh, little club. I think someone said it's the kind of place where P-Diddy has an elegant posse get-together in. I remember Moonloop telling me her first verbal encounter with SW was to ask him where the restroom was.

Blackfield
The show started and SW came out wearing shoes again. I think that there was a walk to the stage from the downstairs, backstage area. He then proceeded to play his solo set taking a lengthy pause to explain to the crowd that anything you need to know about writing good pop music you can learn from listening to The Beatles, The Beach Boys and ABBA. This caused some laughter from the crowd. I still love my Abba Gold CD though and I believe SW. The songs are melodically infectious. After SW's set and a short break, Aviv and Jordan Rudess joined him when he returned to the stage and with those first few piano notes from Jordan we were off again into the Blackfield.

Aviv
The set list was similar to the Cambridge show. They played most of the Blackfield album with a few new songs and "Cover Version I." Just as it had been at the Middle East Club the night before, the crowd was split between Aviv's fan base and SW's. There were also a lot of women at both shows, not the usual crowd of Prog Nerd Disciples that usually follow Mr. Wilson around. We did note that some of the drunk girls were hitting on the Prog Nerds who, like myself, were fixated on SW and couldn‘t be bothered. I was right in front of him, listening to that Bad Cat purr and I really was getting a feel for the new Blackfield songs after only just two listens, especially "Epidemic." For this show, they did the most rocking version of "Feel So Low" I have ever heard during in the encore along with "Pain (Again)" which had an extended keyboard intro from Jordan this time.

SW points
Thinking that after the encore, SW and Aviv would get out fast and enjoy NYC, we took off shortly after the show ended. I did manage to get the set list though, which gave me the new song titles and made a great souvenir from that magical evening. Unfortunately, I found out later that they all came out and greeted the fans that stuck around and they even signed stuff. I think that Moonloop might have a picture or two from that meet and greet. It wasn't a big deal. I would get to see them in Philadelphia again two days later.

The Canal Room had a very relaxed policy on picture taking, so my traveling companion took the opportunity to capture this moment in Blackfield history (their 1st NYC gig) for posterity purposes.

Set List

SET LIST

STEVEN WILSON SET
Even Less
Smart Kid
How Is Your Life Today?
Moment I Lost
The Day Before You Came

BLACKFIELD SET
Blackfield
Glow
The Hole In Me
Pain
Summer
Thank You
Epidemic
Miss U
Cloudy Now
Hello

ENCORE
Feel So Low
Pain (again) (With an extended keyboard intro by Jordan Rudess)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home